Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Meal Two

Each week I (try) to do a meal plan....I do it by the day, but the way I figure it as long as I have the ingredients on hand it doesn't matter when I make it. Today was supposed to be slow cooker rib night - but I got lazy and went with low fat fettucine alfredo instead. I've had this before, a few times...it's super easy, minimal ingredients and everyone in the house likes it. Plus we could eat it on our knees while sitting in front of the tv watching Team Canada go for gold in the World Juniors! No pictures today, I was in such a rush to go back to watching the game I forgot!
Enjoy!

Ingredients:
300g fettucine (I used cracked black pepper flavour today)
1-1/4 cups 25%-less-sodium chicken broth
4 tsp. flour
1/3 cup (1/3 of 250-g tub) PHILADELPHIA Light Cream Cheese Spread (I used herb and garlic flavour)
3 Tbsp. Light Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (I didn't have any so didn't use it)
Black pepper to taste

COOK pasta as directed on package.


MEANWHILE, combine broth and flour in medium saucepan. Stir in cream cheese spread, 2 Tbsp. of the Parmesan cheese, the nutmeg and pepper; cook 2 min., stirring constantly with wire whisk until mixture boils and thickens.


DRAIN pasta. Toss with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese and the parsley.


Makeover Savings
With butter and heavy whipping cream, Alfredo sauce can pack a lot of calories. Instead, our lighter version uses a combination of Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese Spread, chicken broth and flour and also reduces the amount of grated Parmesan. These changes will save you 300 calories and 34 g fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment